According to archeological researches, the city of Grodno emerged at the end of the 10th century. The city was first mentioned in the name of Garodnya, Goradnya, Goraden in the Hypatian Chronicle in 1128 while the Laurentian Codex and the Radziwill Chronicle (Konigsberg Chronicle) mention it in 1127. Since then and till the 16th century the city bore the name of Goroden while the modern name came into popular use in the second half of the 16th century.
The 17th century chronicles mention Grodno as the capital of the Grodno principality, a major cultural, craft and trade center of the so-called Black Rus (Black Ruthenia).
In the middle of the 13th century the city became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1391 the city was granted Magdeburg rights. In 1413 it became a district capital as part of Trakai Voivodeship. In the 17th century the area was 11,505 square kilometers. During wars with Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth populated localities in the district were severely damaged. After the partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth the western part of the district came into possession of Prussia while the eastern part came into possession of the Russian Empire as part of Slonim Province, Lithuanian Province and Grodno Province as from 1801.
In 1897 the district occupied 3,770 square versts and was home to 206,770 residents. Among them were Belarusians (orthodox and catholic ones), Poles, Jews, Lithuanians, Germans, Tatars, and Russia. In 1886-1912 the district included 21 volosts, one city (Grodno), 11 towns (Ozery, Volya, Volpa, Bolshaya Berestovitsa, Druskininkai, Indura, Kamenka, Krinki, Lunno, Mosty, Skidel), 955 villages and farm estates, 52 orthodox churches, 14 catholic churches, ten synagogues, and one mosque.
During World War One Grodno District was occupied by Germans in August 1915, by Polish troops in April 1919, and by the Red Army in July 1920. The Soviet administration was established, revolutionary committees were set up. In line with the Treaty of Riga of 1921 Grodno District came into possession of Poland. It was part of Bialystok Voivodship as from 4 January 1921. In 1927 the district occupied 4,743 square kilometers. It comprised 22 volosts, 4 towns and cities (Grodno, Druskininkai, Indura, and Skidel).
In November 1939 it became part of Bialystok Oblast of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic (BSSR). On 15 January 1940 Grodno District was created. It comprised 17 village councils. Some parts of the district were merged with other districts.
In 1939-1941 the district had 30 collective farms (kolkhoz), 2 cooperative farms, and a machine and tractor station.
Grodno District faced the brunt of the Nazi Germany on 22 June 1941. Crumpled pillboxes near the city of Grodno, the town of Sopotskino and other populated localities testify to the fierce opposition against the German Wehrmacht. Soldiers of the 86th Avgustovo border guard detachment, 9th special machine gun regiment, 68th Grodno fortified district, 213th rifle regiment of the 56th rifle division immortalized their names in defense battles. The names of Senior Lieutenant A.N. Sivachev, Lieutenant V.M. Usov, Senior Lieutenant F.P. Kirichenko and many other soldiers and officers are still in our memory.
Since the first days of the Nazi occupation a wide underground resistance movement and a partisan movement began. Anti-Nazi organizations were established. They were coordinated by Grodno-based underground district committees of the Communist Party of Belarus and the Leninist Young Communist League of Belarus. The number included the Skidel underground Komsomol organization, partisan brigades named after the Lenin Komsomol and after Alexander Nevsky.
The memory of Fatherland defenders and war victims is immortalized in 60 monuments and memorials. In Grodno District 8,248 Soviet soldiers, partisans and civilians are buried. During the occupation there were death camps near Folyush and the village of Kolbasino. Five villages were burnt to the ground: Siny Kamen, Shklensk (it has not been restored), Polymya (Demsha), Puzovichi (Partizanskaya).
As a result of the Bialystok and Vilnius operations in 1944 the district was liberated. Post-war restoration began.
In the 1950-1980s as a result of several administrative and territorial reforms the district acquired the modern look. Collective farms were reformed. As many as 189 small agricultural enterprises evolved into 18 major ones in 2012. Industrial enterprises were built and developed. The largest ones are OAO Skidelsky Sugar Refinery and OAO Agrokombinat Skidelsky.
For outstanding performance (in 1975-1991) the district was ten times awarded the Red Banner of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. It was also awarded by the USSR Council of Ministers, the All-Union Central Trade Union Council, and the Central Committee of the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League. It was awarded supreme republican awards 34 times. As many as 17 executives and workers of the district were awarded Socialist Labor Hero titles. The citizens A.I. Dubko, V.I. Kremko, V.A. Revyako were awarded Hero of Belarus titles. In 2008 the title Honorable Citizen of Grodno District was instituted, with 11 citizens awarded the title. Those are the people, whose hard work glorifies Grodno District.